There are so many great reasons why your dog should eat crickets we had a hard time narrowing it down to five. But if you’re still on the fence about feeding crickets to your dog, here are five great reasons why your dog should eat crickets:
- Crickets are raised without the use of hormones or antibiotics and provide a complete source of novel protein that can be part of a hypoallergenic diet, with all the essential amino acids your dog needs.
- Crickets are sustainable and environmentally friendly compared to other sources of animal protein. Whether you’re feeding your dog chicken strips, beef kibble, or something more exotic, substituting any portion of your dog’s regular diet for a cricket-based treat will help lower your ecological paw print. That’s because crickets require far less land, water, feed, and energy resources to produce while still providing a source of ‘meat’ or animal protein.
- Crickets contain the prebiotic fiber chitin, which feeds beneficial bacteria or probiotics for a healthy digestive system. These beneficial bacteria play a major role in the health of your pet by aiding digestion and the absorption of vitamins and minerals, and helping to fight off disease. Plus, you won’t find chitin in traditional sources of animal protein!
- Dogs are natural foragers and insects have always been a part of the traditional canine diet. In fact, the instinct to burrow and dig can be related to the search for tasty grubs! Although it may seem strange for you to feed your dog crickets, putting crickets back on the menu is a return to how food should be for your canine pet.
- Crickets are a source of vitamins, minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids which all contribute to health and longevity.
Added to that, crickets are irresistibly delicious to your dog so adding crickets to your dog’s diet is easy because they’ll love it! You can give crickets a try with our Midgard cricket treats for dogs made from whole ground crickets and 100% grain free and local ingredients found in Nova Scotia, Canada. Or try them in the creative meal toppers and treats developed by one of our partners!